Chocolatey keto brownies
Keto baking can be tough when a recipe calls for ingredients that you may or may not have access to. Sure, if you’ve been keto for a little while you may have a stockpile of approved flours and additives but what do you do when you run out or if you don’t have quite enough almond flour and you are craving a fudgy brownie? You pull out this simple and satisfying recipe for keto brownies that uses only basic ingredients!
The key to making these brownies come together is the process in which you prepare the ingredients. Beating the eggs until they turn pale and begin to thicken is important because it incorporates air and begins to form an intricate structure between the egg and granulated sweetener that will give you a better crumb, while the butter and chocolate mixture which is added later amps up the fudgy texture. Baking in a small pan (8×8) at a higher heat (375°F) verses a larger pan at lower heat produces a thicker brownie with a crustier edge and a softer center. If you prefer a firmer texture I recommend baking at 350°F for an extra 5 to 10 minutes.
Like a cake brownie, these have a decent crumb and stay together without falling apart but with a thick and fudgy texture. Bake a batch of these brownies and cut them into individual servings and store in the fridge or wrap them in cellophane and freeze for a quick keto treat. That’s planning ahead and portion control!
Yields 16 Flourless Keto Brownies
5 ounces low-carb milk chocolate
4 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
½ cup Swerve*
¼ cup mascarpone cheese
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
½ teaspoon salt
*The sweetener I used was a brand that is a mixture of erythritol and stevia. You can use just granulated erythritol but the flavor is (in my opinion) better when you have a mixture of different nonnutritive sweeteners.
The success of these brownies is all in the execution of the recipe. Beating the eggs and sugar for the appropriate amount of time and baking them in an 8×8 pan lined with parchment is crucial to making them turn out perfectly fudgy!
1. Heat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment. Melt 5 ounces chocolate in a glass bowl on medium heat for 30 intervals, stirring each time until smooth.
2. Add butter and microwave the bowl for ten seconds. Stir. Repeat until smooth. Set aside to allow to slightly cool while you prepare the batter.
3. In a large bowl, beat three eggs and ½ cup granulated sweetener on high until the mixture becomes frothy and the eggs become pale. This should take about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add the mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth.
5. Sift in half of the cocoa powder (2 tablespoons) and ½ tsp salt and gently mix. The power will resist mixing with the egg so go slow and keep at it.
6. Sift in the rest of the coco powder (another 2 tablespoons) and stir until all of the mixture is dissolved and the batter forms.
7. Make sure you chocolate is still melted. If not, heat for 10 seconds and stir. Fold the melted chocolate into the batter and mix well until it is creamy and there are no lumps.
8. Pour batter in prepared 8×8 pan and bake at 375°F for 25 minutes or until the center no longer jiggles.
9. Remove from pan and cool completely before cutting!
This makes a total of 16 Flourless Keto Brownies. Each serving comes out to be 86.94 Calories, 8.05g Fat, 2.9g Net Carbs, and 2.18g Protein.